23 thoughts on “Look What I Made: Rainbow Ripple Blanket

1. Gorgeous! I love ripples and the rainbow makes it even better!

2. Rachel says:

that’s very pretty. I love all the colors – it would go quite nice in any room or living space. Perfect for an over sized throw also.

3. Stunning! Simply amazing!

4. Oh wow! I am absolutely in love! 🙂 This is amazing… I actually picked up a very similar blanket at an op shop last week. I would love to learn to crotchet… this is just divine!

• katiec says:

Hi Rebekah,
      Lucky find! Crocheting is definitely fun and not too hard to learn. I learnt only a few years ago. I had one lesson, and then used YouTube and books to help me figure it all out.
      Good luck!
      ~K

5. debra says:

I love your colors. What size did you make it? I am thinking of making something larger than the regular baby blankets I make. Did you use wool? I have a new collection of acrylic yarns about 40 colors I can use but I am thinking maybe I should try wool to really make it an heirloom.

• katiec says:

Hi Debra,
      I think it’s about 105cm x 95cm.
      It’s acrylic, but still nice and soft. i just love the acrylic colours available. Would love to see your finished blanket.
      ~K

6. rachel says:

This is so beautiful!! Just amazing. I have a question, I’ve tried this pattern about a dozen times but after the fourth row I always lose the ripple so can’t go any further. Do you have any tips? Thanks!

• katiec says:

Hi Rachel,
      How fustrating to get to the fourth row and have issues!
      I’m not sure why it is happening, you can email me a pic if you like, I might be able to spot it.

Some tips – Make sure you start each row and finish each row with an increase.
      The first curve of the ripple should always be a decrease. Same for the last curve in each row.

Your foundation row should be a multiple of 14, plus three for turning.This extra three forms part of your first increase as below.

To start a row – Chain 3
      One DC/treble in next stitch (This forms your increase)
      Then
      One DC/treble in next four stitches
      Decrease in next two stitches
      One DC/treble in next four stitches
      Increase in next two stitches
      One DC/treble in next four stitches
      Decrease in next two stitches
      One DC/treble in next four stitches
      To finish row 2 DC/treble in final stitch

Turn and begin again as above.
      ~K

7. Rossana Ramirez says:

Hi Katiec
    I Love It!!!! It’s awesome. Please send mi videos as soon as possible so I can learn how to do that rainbow ripple blanket.
    I’ll be waitng.

Rossana

8. Shelly says:

Gorgeous! I’m about to start a double bed sized rainbow granny stripe using the same yarn. Took me ages to plan out the colours. May I ask what colours you used? Specifically what greens? 🙂

9. Nancy says:

Can you post the entire directions

10. Upasana says:

Hi, loved your blanket and planning to make one. I am from India and the yarn size is very different here. Could you please tell me which hook size did you use for this one. I am planning to make a baby blanket.

Thanks!!!!

11. Ellie says:

The link to the yarn doesn’t work. Would it be possible to list the color used?
    Thank you!

12. Alice Arkley says:

Katie,
    I love this blanket and have just gotten 23 colors of the Stylecraft special DK + the Panda green. It looks to me from the picture that you have alternated 4 rows of the first color and 5 rows of the 2nd color and then repeated that sequence, 4/5, 4/5 etc. Is that correct?

The sample I made with this repeat comes out to 4 ” high by 7.25 ” wide, so If my calculations are correct my blanket would come out to be 43.5″ wide by about 46″ high. Does that seem right to you? I’m asking all these questions because this is only the second crochet blanket I have ever tried.
    Thanks,
    Alice

• katieskitchenblog says:

Hi Alice,

It is actually 5 rows of each colour, but as that’s an odd number it appears as though the colour sections are different. If you do an even number of rows in each colour you will avoid this.

Keep in mind your first row will be a little tighter than the others; it can help to do your foundation chains in a larger hook size also. I’m not great at estimating size but it sounds like you are on the right track!
      Let me know how you go,