I finally bought a walking foot* for my old sewing machine. I love it! It’s amazing! Why didn’t I buy one years ago?! I think I was put off by the name, “walking foot” sounds complicated. But it’s so not complicated. It’s easy! It made quilting this project much easier and much less painful than it would have been using my regular presser foot. Still time-consuming but there’s no getting around that, it’s a labour of love.
The quilt top fabric is from the Fly a Kite range by October Afternoon for Riley Blake. It’s out of print now so I’m glad I snapped some up late last year from Poppy Seed Fabrics. The quilt measures 92 x 105cm (36 x 41″) and the batting is 100% cotton.
I made the binding (I use ¼ double-fold cross-grain binding) from some spotted red fabric from my stash. I hand-sewed the back of the binding, which is almost my favourite part of quilting.
I splurged and bought some more Fly a Kite fabric from a local retailer for the back. It’s hard when this would retail for about $10 a yard in the US but $22 a metre here in Australia. I couldn’t find anything else to match the top though and I love the little flowers.
*I ordered the walking foot/even feed foot from Singer Australia. It was $33 plus $12 shipping fee and arrived in about four days. I did first try a generic walking foot that is supposed to compatible with most low-shank sewing machines (from the local chain-store craft-supply store). It was awful and broke two needles in no time. The feed dog mechanism on the Singer branded walking foot is a much better design. No issues and no broken needles in the rest of the quilt.